Saturday, September 6, 2008

momentum & the present moment

September's a full month. I'm finishing a piece for the wonderful Momenta Quartet and the luminous/fearless mezzo Abby Fischer (MySpace and bio including great mp3 of a Rands piece); the NYC concert/work season kicks back into gear; and the grant & residency application season gets seriously underway as I prep for next summer's Serbia workshop, my Singing Stones installations, and other spring/summer possibilities.

For me, the concert season officially opened two weeks ago with a loft concert by Momenta -- a highlight of my 2008 so far. They played a Haydn quartet and a long vibrant premiere by Dalit Warshaw; then they screened a new film for which they'd played a lot of the score. A rich program, a big spellbound all-ages audience, and sunset through the industrial-sized windows of a Williamsburg loft... really a perfectly-distilled "this is why we live in NYC" moment.

(Incidentally, at the loft concert, I got to meet the woman behind Momenta's name. It's not, she says, meant to suggest something specific like a plural/multiple of momentum; it's just something evocative she suggested to Stephanie. An abstract combination of associations: momentum, momentous, the present moment, etc.)

Meanwhile, my mini-piece Liberty Flickering gets premiered by the New York Miniaturist Ensemble, on the latest concert in their Edison Film Score project; and Floating Point gets played in L.A. and Omaha this week, by violin/cello duo Johnny Chang and Jessica Catron, after its New Zealand premiere earlier this year. (My music gets to travel a lot more than I do... which is as it should be; I'm happy to be settling back into concert season and fall/winter worktime.)

No comments: